Facebook’s parent company, Meta Platforms Inc., has agreed to pay $90 million to settle a class-action lawsuit over the alleged misuse of users’ personal data. If you’re a Facebook user in the United States and are eligible, you can claim your share of the settlement. Here’s how:
- Check your eligibility: To qualify for a payout, you must be a Facebook user in the United States who used the platform between January 1, 2011, and February 1, 2021. The lawsuit alleged that the company violated users’ privacy rights by tracking their internet activity even after they logged out of the social media platform.
- Visit the settlement website: To submit a claim or find more information about the settlement, visit the official website at www.facebooktrackingsettlement.com.
- Fill out the claim form: On the settlement website, click the “Submit a Claim” button and follow the instructions provided. You’ll need to provide your name, email address, and other required information.
- Choose your payment method: You can select how you’d like to receive your payment – via check, direct deposit, or PayPal. Be sure to provide the necessary details, such as your mailing address or bank account information, depending on the payment method you choose.
- Submit your claim: Once you’ve filled out the form and chosen your payment method, submit your claim. Make sure to do this before the deadline, which is July 10, 2023.
- Wait for approval: After submitting your claim, it will be reviewed for eligibility. If your claim is approved, you will receive your share of the settlement. The amount you’ll receive depends on the number of eligible claimants and any deductions for attorneys’ fees and other expenses. Payments are expected to be distributed after the final approval of the settlement, which is scheduled for October 17, 2023.
Please note that submitting a claim will waive your right to bring any further legal action against Meta Platforms Inc. regarding the alleged privacy violations outlined in the lawsuit. If you wish to exclude yourself from the settlement or object to its terms, you can find instructions on the settlement website.